My group focuses on developing and characterizing molecular models of neurodevelopmental disorders; primarily epilepsy and monogenic autism spectrum disorders. We use in vitro neuronal differentiation of human induced pluripotent stem cells into clinically-relevant cell types, coupled with global transcriptome/epigenetic analyses and microelectrode arrays, to identify and study developmental and functional aberrations of these disorders. In collaboration with other investigators at the IGM, we also study the neural network behavior of primary neurons from mouse models of epilepsy.
- Modeling epileptic encephalopathy using human induced pluripotent stem cells
- Identification and correction of neural network phenotypes associated with variants in epilepsy genes
- In vitro development of GABAergic interneurons
- Yi-Fan Lu, Postdoctoral Scholar
- Casey McLaughlin, Research Technician
- Andrew Ressler, Graduate Student
Saera Song, Postdoctoral Scholar
Boland MJ*, Nazor KL*, Tran HT, Szücs A, Lynch CL, Paredes R, Tassone F, Sanna PP, Hagerman RJ, Loring JF. (2017) Molecular analyses of neurogenic defects in a human pluripotent stem cell model of Fragile X Syndrome. Brain. 140(3):582-598 doi: 10.1093/brain/aww357. *these authors contributed equally.
- McSweeney KM, Gussow AB, Bradrick SS, Dugger SA, Gelfman S, Wang Q, Petrovski S, Frankel WN, Boland MJ, Goldstein DG. (2016) Inhibition of microRNA-128 promotes excitability of cultured cortical neuronal networks. Genome Research.26:1411-1416
- Hazen JL*, Faust G*, Rodriguez AR, Ferguson W, Shumilina S, Clark RA, Boland MJ, Martin G, Chubukov P, Tsunemoto RK, Torkamani A, Kupriyanov S, Hall IA, Baldwin KK. (2016) The complete genome sequences, unique mutational spectra and developmental potency of adult neurons revealed by cloning. Neuron. 89:1223-1236
- Nazor KL, Boland MJ, Bibikova M, Klotzle B, Yu M, Glenn-Pratola VL, Schell JP, Coleman RL, Cabral-da-Silva MC, Schmidt U, Peterson SE, He C, Loring JF, Fan J-B. (2014) Application of a low cost array-based technique - TAB-Array - for quantifying and mapping both 5mC and 5hmC at single base resolution in human pluripotent stem cells. Genomics. 104: 358-367
- Boland MJ, Nazor KL, Loring JF. (2014) Epigenetic regulation of pluripotency and differentiation. Circulation Res. 115:311-324.
- Quinlan AR*, Boland MJ*, Leibowitz ML, Shumilina S, Pehrson SM, Baldwin KK, Hall IM. (2011) Paired-end DNA sequencing of mouse induced pluripotent stem cell genomes reveals rare mutations and retroelement stability. Cell Stem Cell. 9: 366-373 doi: 10.1016/j.stem.2011.07.018. *these authors contributed equally.
- Boland MJ*, Hazen JL*, Nazor KL*, Rodriquez AR, Gifford W, Martin G, Kupriyanov S, Baldwin KK. (2009) Adult mice generated from induced pluripotent stem cells. Nature. 46: 91-96 *these authors contributed equally.
- Boland MJ and Christman JK. (2008) Characterization of Dnmt3b:thymine-DNA glycosylase interaction and stimulation of thymine glycosylase-mediated repair by DNA methyltransferase(s) and RNA. J. Mol. Biol. 379(3): 492-504
- B.S., Biotechnology, University of Nebraska, Omaha, NE
- Ph.D., Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha, NE
- Director, Cellular Models of Disease – Institute for Genomic Medicine
- Assistant Professor, Department of Neurology, Columbia University
- Postdoctoral Fellow (PI, Kristin Baldwin) Dorris Neuroscience Center, The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA
- Postdoctoral Associate (PI, Jeanne Loring) The Scripps Research Institute, La Jolla, CA